Suite for the Young (1964) is the only music for piano Norman Dello Joio wrote for the first or second year piano student.
Practice and Performance Tips
• The piece has the feel of a simple folk tune, made interesting by Dello Joio’s harmonization.
• Notice the indication legato, and the composer’s phrase markings.
• The melody begins in the right hand, then is almost exactly repeated an octave lower in the left hand.
• Note the rather dramatic dynamic changes, including the sudden shift to mf in measures 5 and 8.
• Even with the strong dynamic contrasts, this piece needs to be played with a gentleness of spirit.
• Use no pedal. Create the smoothness of this music with the fingers only.
• A slight rit. is possible in the last two measures.